MINDFULNESS-BASED STRESS REDUCTION
“In this very moment, no matter what your condition or situation, you have within you all the resources you need for growing, healing, and working with stress, pain, illness, and the everyday challenges you are facing.
A growing body of scientific evidence supports the reality of a profound mind-body connection and now recognizes that learning and practicing mindfulness can positively affect your sense of health and wellbeing physically, mentally, and emotionally, while simultaneously offering you a means of discovering a deeper sense of ease and peace of mind.”
Saki F. Santorelli, EdD MA, Director, Center for Mindfulness and Stress Reduction Program,
Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Mass. Medical School
What is Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction?
Since 1979, more than 18,000 people have completed the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program. It is a course that helps participants draw on their own inner resources and actively engage in caring for themselves and finding greater balance, ease, and peace of mind.
The program was founded by Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD at the Stress Reduction Clinic of UMass Medical School. The technique was originally developed for use in hospitals with patients suffering from painful, chronic, or disabling conditions. It was found that following participation in an MBSR program, participant’s levels of anxiety and depression decreased and their sense of wellbeing increased. Extensive research had shown that the Stress Reduction Program can be beneficial for anyone, regardless of state of health.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in the Media
MBSR has been featured in PBS in Bill Moyers’ documentary, Healing and the Mind, which was seen by more than 40 million people; on NBC’s Dateline; on ABC’s Evening News and Chronicle programs; on The Oprah Winfrey Show; and in hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles.
8-Week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course
In a safe supportive atmosphere participants meet in a closed group every week with their instructor to-
- Investigate the nature of stress- how habitual reactions increase it, and how it affects your life.
- Learn mindfulness approaches to manage physical, emotional, or psychological stress and difficulty in an effective way.
- Connect with your body’s own wisdom and learn to relax tension.
- Develop tools to work with and transform stressful situations and reactions.
- Discover how to address depression and anxiety more skillfully.
- Overcome old habits of reaction-forge new pathways of responding mindfully.
- Re-establish balance in your life.
- Restore a sense of well-being and ease to your life.
- Have more control over your own health and fitness, and feel empowered to live with more joy and equanimity.
Take a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course!
Thousands of people of all ages, from all walks of life and lifestyles have now benefited the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program-and you can too! This program is suitable for anyone who is interested in living a less stressful and more rewarding life.
I offer the 8-Week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction programs periodically and would be very happy to welcome you!
Read what past participants say about the MBSR Class